I have tried two recipes so far for zucchini cakes or patties, which we had previously not tried, but really liked. These were the ones that turned out the best. The recipe could be modified more than I have here to make it healthier, but it's pretty good, especially if you use whole, natural ingredients.
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a medium bowl, combine the zucchini, eggs, onion, flour, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and salt. Stir well enough to distribute ingredients evenly.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Drop zucchini mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, and cook for a few minutes on each side until golden.
This next one is more than easy. It's SO easy. It's simple, but my guy thought they tasted like fajitas. That's not bad for an all-veggie meal.
Zucchini and Squash Burritos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 small summer squash, sliced (or a mixture of squash and zucchini or just zucchini)
- salt to taste
- 4 (7 inch) whole wheat tortillas (or whatever you prefer)
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomato
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir the onion in the hot oil until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the squash in three batches, making sure the first has softened slightly before adding the next. Season with salt.
- Heat the tortillas in the microwave until warm, about 10 seconds. Spoon the squash mixture into the center of the tortillas; top with the Cheddar cheese and tomato. Roll into a burrito to serve.